September 27, 2008

Food

Jack is 11 months old now and, I have to say, I'm probably the most paranoid mother about him eating bigger foods. He has two teeth on bottom and I'm never sure if the food I'm feeding him is too big, too textured, too chewy, etc. I tried to give him a bananna the other day and actually let him bite it instead of me chopping it up in smaller pieces. Jack proceeded to put the whole bananna in his mouth so, I went to my old ways of chopping it up. I'm really scared of him choking so I would love to hear any feedback from my friends and family that have had children in this stage of life on what you gave your children to eat at this age.

He is the most adorable boy in the world to me and here are a few photos of him doing his most favorite thing.... eating.


4 comments:

The Parnell's said...

April I understand your paranoia about him choking. I was the same way. Andrew has been stubborn from the beginning though. It didn't matter how small I would chop is food he would still cram it in until his little mouth couldn't hold any more. I finally just decided to let him eat how he wanted to (within reason) and just watched closely ready to scoop food out of his mouth if necessary. He never did choke and finally learned that once you get your mouth too full you can't chew. I have a hysterical story about him in Chili's one day on this subject. Let me know if you want to hear it and I'll call you. It's too long to put on here. Good Luck & try not to worry too much. He'll figure it out eventually :-)

Amanda said...

I'm with ya babe! I'm scared of big pieces, too. Gracen eats her weight in Cherios everyday. I have to give her something to pick up herself, or she won't eat what I'm giving her with a spoon. I really don't want to start making 2 meals every night - 1 for her and 1 for Jeffrey and me, so I give her small bites of whatever we're eating. She'll eat pork chops, chicken, and hamburger meat in really small bites. She loves eating whole club crackers. But I still give her baby food mixed with rice cereal, too. I agree with the other comment, sometimes they just have to figure it out.

Anonymous said...

Hey April! It says in my Human Development book that babies at 6 months of age eat sliced bananas and green beans. So I figure if a 6 month old can do it, so can ol Jackypoo! haha

Ev

Lindy said...

April! I was totally in your situation with Julie, she had like no teeth at a year!!! We did lots of very tiny tiny bites and I would cook her vegatables longer than our so they would be much softer! I did things like carrots, broccoli, smashed taters, green beans, peas, and corn. I gave her tiny bites or I would put some stuff in the food processor! Her favs were chicken and dumplings and chicken pot pie (in the food processor!) hang in there girl, before you know it he will have a mouthful of chompers! I have to admit, I am STILL totally paranoid about the choking stuff, even with a 4 year old!